Looking For The Best Composting Bins and Tumbler? Read Our Critical Reviews & Top Recommendations For 2016
For those with a green thumb, there is always a necessity to have a nearby storage so that they can immediately plant their seedlings or saps. Composts are rich humus that help in plant growth and also assist the soil to regain its nutrients.
Gardening soil made at home are healthier as compared to the factory made soil. They can actually be made at home with scraps from your dining table and old things that you can easily recycle.
But how do you store them properly without them causing problems for your home and the neighbors? This website will give you a solution to those problems as well as other helpful gardening tips.
Nowadays, you can purchase compost storage or bins from the market that help you store your compost without having to worry about the bacteria and the smell it produces. These bins can help in the decomposition of the compost you are making and prevent rats from getting to your compost.
They also come in tumbler format apart from the bin format. But which one should you buy? Here are the things you should consider when picking up a tumbling composter.
8 Factors To Consider Before You Buy
There are at least 8 major aspects buyers need to consider when it comes to what they need to look for when buying a compost bin:
- Footprint – You need to consider that your compost bin should be stationery and take only 4 to 6 sq ft. footprint in your backyard.
- Capacity – These bins should hold between 7 and 20 cubic feet worth of composts.
- Durability – They must be made from strong material that can hold the entire weight of the material.
- Functionality – Gardeners must be able to easily turn the compost so that it could decompose faster. These bins must also be reusable.
- Composting Time – It is best to get a bin that allows efficient decomposition time and it must also have parts that help regulate air quality and water content.
- Pest Control – It must be able to keep pests away from your material.
- Odor Control – While in use, they should not release any odor at all.
- Cost – Composting bins should be cheap and at the same time they must be robust and of high quality for longer use.
The Different Types of Composters
Nowadays, there are a lot of products available in various shapes, sizes and capacity. There are even composting bins that are meant for specific conditions or specific types of compost. Here are some of the available containers for composts and their pros and cons:
- Tumblers - They look exactly like canisters that you can roll around your garden. The compost must be dry because some of the moist materials that get in usually make a hard and heavy ball.
- Open Bins - These allow air to circulate within the container, helping your material to dry faster.
- Closed Bins - Good to keep your compost from external elements and they can retain the moisture of your compost. But these can be very expensive due to the material used in making them.
- Stationary Bins - They cannot be moved around and are made of blocks or wood. The have three bins piled together.
- Movable Composters - These are good if you wish to move them around and turn your composts regularly to remoisten it or put air in it.
- Multi-bin Systems - These are good for experienced gardeners or those who need to have constant supply of compost.
- Kitchen Composters - Countertop crocks are good for those who wish to stockpile their kitchen scraps for compost.
Top 7 Composters & Tumblers Comparison
It’s not been labeled the most beautiful for nothing. With The Envirocycle Composter Composteamaker, you’ll start looking at even the waste at your home as something beautiful.
Actually, waste can be really beautiful once you learn to appreciate how it easily it can be converted into compost to work wonders on your garden soil.
The plethora of features this composter comes with will leave you amazed indeed.
- High on safety: This tumbling bin is constructed of UV protected materials which don’t contain BPA and are top quality in all other aspects too. That makes this composter absolutely safe for use, without the risk of any harm to your kids.
- Superior quality: It has paper liners which ensure faster `cooking’ of the waste than the biodegradable plastic bags which most composters use. You can easily enhance the quality further with use of starters or accessories such as measuring tools for monitoring pH or humidity etc.
- Spacious and convenient: The all-in-one The Envirocycle may be compact in size but is quite spacious, with a large opening that facilitates disposal of kitchen food waste or organic waste from the yard in a convenient manner.
- Durable and long-lasting: Since it’s made of solid quality materials, The Composteamaker is durable and built to last long.
- Easy to spin: The tumbler requires hardly any effort to spin, and needs to be turned around just three times every three days, followed by a tumbling-spinning-rotating action after 4-8 weeks.
- Secure function: You won’t find the waste being spewed all over the place while using the bin; its latched door makes it extremely easy to put in the waste and then take out the soil (both solid and liquid) when ready. For the liquid (tea) waste, there’s an option to collect it directly or just throw it out of the bin like the solids.
Though it comes equipped with some excellent features, The Envirocycle is likely to cause problems if you decide to compost toilet paper or waste in it.
Some users have complained of the door latch being of poor quality, causing the door to open and the waste/compost to fall out when packed to full capacity.
With a responsive customer service, the minor flaws of The Envirocycle Composter Composteamaker don’t really count and you’ll find it an excellent piece of equipment for composting your waste quite efficiently.
What’s more, with its attractive design, it won’t be an eyesore in your garden, patio or even your apartment balcony.
Wish you could find a compost bin that you could keep filling up on one side while the other one keeps composting all that waste you’ve been wanting to recycle? The Yimby Tumbler Composter is designed to make your wish come true.
This tumbler comes packed with an array of efficient features that can convert your waste to rich soil-enhancing material with minimal effort.
- High functional efficiency: What makes this composter truly unique is its ability to churn compost out of all your waste with a high level of functional efficiency, thanks to its two chambers – one side for filling and the other for treatment of waste.
- Sturdy construction: Made of recycled plastic bin with steel frame and tin legs, the Yimby is strong and durable, and built to last.
- Adjustable air vents: Depending on the type of waste material and the climatic conditions in which the tumbler is being used, you can easily adjust its air vents to ensure that there’s the right amount of air flowing into the composter.
- User-friendly: From ease of assembly to its sliding bin cover, which can be easily closed or opened, this is an extremely user-friendly gadget. Just turn the built-in hand holds in the composter every couple of days to get the perfect fertilizer for your soil.
- Ideal weight: The Yimby (with 37-gallon capacity) is neither too heavy to cause you discomfort nor so light that it can be blown around by a strong gust of wind.
- Time-saving: One key advantage of this tumbler is the speed with which it makes compost. For an average quantity of waste, it takes no more than a couple of weeks to deliver the quality compost you need to nourish the soil of your home garden.
While the Yimby does sound like a good buy to make fine soil out of your home waste, you may like to consider a few things before taking the final plunge. For one, you need to be careful about adding sufficient quantity of dry brown stuff to ensure that the compost is not soggy. And you do need to be sure about the door being tightly shut since it doesn’t have a lock to keep the rain and moisture out.
The few negatives notwithstanding, the Yimby Tumbler Composter does seem to be a good value for money gadget, ideal for a small home garden. This good and time-saving, efficient little compost bin doesn’t require much care or maintenance, and is super easy to use.
Don’t get misled by the Jr. tag into thinking that this does only half the job of a regular composter. The only reason for this description of the Good Ideas EZCJR-BLK 7-Cubic-Foot Compost Wizard Jr. is its size; with 7-cubic foot capacity this composter is a junior version of the same model in a bigger size.
Now if you’re worried about what features the manufacturers have compromised on to make this junior version, let’s put your fears at rest. This one actually has more advanced features than the original 12 cubic foot version.
- Blends safety with convenience: With the Good Ideas Wizard Jr. to help you utilize your home waste effectively, you can be assured of a high level of safety, backed by convenience. The twist-off lid (12”) not only keeps the compost protected from external conditions, pests, insects etc, but is also easy to remove. It also acts as an extra turning point to augment the turning facility, which is otherwise managed by the recessed handles, which are equipped with excellent grip.
- Wheeled base: The composter has a wheeled base to enable easy movement from one part of your garden to another. Incidentally, you can also separate the base for facilitating free-flow movement of the bin.
- Well-aerated: The Compost Wizard Jr. is crafted to provide the compost in it with the right amount of air needed to ensure superior quality. It has aeration holes at the ends, with the option of drilling more holes if needed, especially if you’re living in an area where air currents are generally low.
- Child and pet safe: The design of this composter is ideal to ensure that it’s safe for your children as well as pets. So you won’t need to worry about your little ones getting access to either the waste or the compost in this gadget.
- Quality material: When it comes to quality of the material used, the Wizard Jr. has an edge over most composters in this category. The resin material used is 100% recycled BPA free post industrial polyethylene, to ensure durability and to keep out the sun’s heat.
Well, so far so good, but what about the problems? Yes, there are a few issues with the Good Ideas EZCJR-BLK just as there are with other composters.
Evidently, it’s tough to keep the compost moist especially in dry climate, because the ventilation holes on the sides are too low to allow more than half an inch or so of water to drip out. Then there’s the lid of the bin; users have complained that the food scraps tend to stick on to the lid, making it somewhat difficult to turn and also impacting the compost quality.
All in all, however, it’s an efficient composter which can churn compost in about two weeks and requires turning only once a week or so. It’s a great machine from the safety perspective and completely safe to use around a house that has children or pets playing around in the garden most of the time.
Good Ideas is known to build gadgets that are nothing less than `next generation’. The Good Ideas CW-2X is another such piece of equipment from the company, bringing the next generation of composting to your doorstep, quite literally.
The Good Ideas CW-2X Compost Wizard Dueling Tumbler comes with an amazing range of useful features.
- Twin-chamber composting: This tumbler’s total capacity is 50 gallons, split equally between its two chambers, which enables simultaneous composting of two batches.
- Safe & secure: The tumbler is totally safe for pets and children, with 8” twist lids to keep the chambers secure.
- Easy to use and maintain: This outstanding attribute makes this fully assembled tumbler a breeze to use, and also to keep in excellent working order with the minimum of effort.
- Good capacity: The 7 cubic foot tumbler has a compost tea collecting base (with wheels) which can hold up to 5 gallons.
- Solid durability: This is ensured with the 100% BPA-free recycled material that goes into the manufacturing of the tumbler.
Evidently, the CW-2X is not very good at composting tree leaves or banana peels. So if you’ve got a lot of that around your house, you may need to think again before spending your hard-earned money on this tumbler.
On the whole, if you love your planet and want to preserve it for future generations, this is a small but awesome way of contributing your bit. This tumbler easy to use and easier still to maintain, making it an ideal choice for those who want to recycle their waste efficiently but without expending too much energy on the job.
So you want to go green with a vengeance? Well, the Lifetime 60028 65-Gallon Compost Tumbler, with its large capacity, will help you do just that. And it’ll allow you to manage your waste in the most convenient manner without any hassle.
Let’s check out some of the key features of the Lifetime 60028 for you.
- Heavy-duty functionality: The Lifetime 60028 is designed to facilitate heavy-duty composting without adding to the weight of the gadget. The lightweight construction of this 65 gallon capacity tumbler provides a perfect foil to its heavy-duty functionality.
- Innovative design: The design of the tumbler is quite ingenuous, and allows for easy turning and balanced rotation on axis.
- Large removable lid: You can easily load the waste into this 8.5 cubic foot capacity tumbler, thanks to its extra large lid which is removable but has a convenient latch to shut out the rodents and pests.
- Solid frame: The frame of this composter is made of powder coated steel, enabling protection even in harsh weather.
- Heat-absorbing: The heavy-duty black panels of this tumbler help effectively absorb and retain the heat for perfect decomposition of organic waste.
Though it works well, this tumbler is, unfortunately, somewhat difficult to assemble, requiring your own tools. You may also need to do some drilling before you can use it.
Also, it’s not really water-tight, so you may find it dripping a little, especially if there’s too much citric stuff to be composted.
The Lifetime 60028 65-Gallon Compost Tumbler is a good choice for those with a lot of composting required to be done on a regular basis. It has a large capacity with a big footprint to take in a whole lot of waste material for recycling.
Our Top 3 Recommendations
#1 Our Pick - Best Overall Value
- Most beautiful composter
- Made in USA from quality materials
- Easiest and fastest setup time
- Top rated customer service
4.6 out of 5
#2 - Great Value
Good Ideas EZCJR
Compost Wizard Jr.
- Wheeled base for easy moving
- Well ventilated for proper air flow
- Easy and convenient to use
- 52 Gallon capacity
- Under $100
4.2 out of 5
#3 - Runner Up
Yimby Tumbler Composter
- Adjustable air vents
- Recycled plastic bin w/ steel frame
- Easy assembly w/ instructions
- 37 gallon capacity
- Under $100